This week, Epic Games printed an up to date Unreal Engine 5.1 roadmap that’s crammed with thrilling enhancements coming to the favored game creation software program.
To start with, the engineers try to repair these dreadful stuttering hitches that usually plague Unreal Engine 4+ video games. Unreal Engine 5.1 is getting an Automated PSO Gathering characteristic to assist with this long-standing problem.
With the rising emphasis in UE5 on DX12 and Vulkan, we’re focusing consideration on fixing the issue of runtime hitches attributable to Pipeline State Object creation, which is inherent to these RHIs. The earlier answer required a PSO pre-caching course of, which could possibly be burdensome for big tasks and nonetheless go away gaps within the cache resulting in hitches.
Automated PSO Gathering replaces the guide work required to gather all attainable PSO combos for a undertaking whereas on the similar time holding the variety of PSOs as small as attainable.
Of course, this repair will not be out there for the numerous Unreal Engine 4 video games nonetheless in growth, however not less than we will hope that future titles utilizing Unreal Engine 5.1+ will not endure from the difficulty any longer.
This is just one of many enhancements deliberate by Epic for the brand new Unreal Engine 5 model. The engine’s most enjoyable new options, Lumen and Nanite, will each obtain varied enhancements.
- Improved efficiency optimizations in High scalability mode with the objective of reaching 60 fps on consoles
- Improved assist for foliage
- Reflections on Single Layer Water
- Support for high-quality mirror reflections on translucent surfaces
- Support for nDisplay (SWRT and HWRT)
- Initial assist for split-screen (SWRT solely); efficiency traits nonetheless TBD
- Experimental: Hardware Ray Tracing (HWRT) in Vulkan – Surface cache lighting solely, no assist but for Hit Lighting
- Many stability, high quality, and bug fixes
The main focus of Nanite for Unreal Engine 5.1 is the addition of a programmable rasterization framework, opening the door to options resembling masked supplies, two-sided foliage, pixel depth offset, and world place offset. Please notice that the precise characteristic listing and anticipated stability and efficiency traits are nonetheless TBD.
Other updates embrace:
- Nanite materials swap within the Material Editor
- Additional diagnostic and debug modes
- Many high quality and efficiency enhancements
There’s extra, together with varied enhancements to GPU Lightmass, Path Tracing, Niagara, and Chaos Cloth. Unreal Engine 5.1 would not have a launch date but, nor do any of the video games made with it (besides Epic’s personal Fortnite), however within the meantime, you may watch this remake of the Unreal Engine 4 Elemental demo.