It’s no secret that Discord is without doubt one of the finest methods to speak within the gaming neighborhood. However, it’s nonetheless liable to experiencing points, significantly with the rise of individuals utilizing the applying. One of those unfavourable outcomes is the Discord customers getting caught on checking for updates error.
In this guide, we’re going to take a look at how one can repair Discord when caught on checking for updates.
Periodically, Discord will update a few of its options and core mechanics. When these updates pop up, it’s pure for customers to attempt to download and set up them, since they typically help with numerous safety measures and enhance the general efficiency of the app.
Although, some customers have reported that their Discord will stay caught on checking for updates, which is clearly a problem. So, listed below are seven issues you possibly can attempt to resolve the issue:
1. Check your Internet Connection
When your Discord is having hassle with updates, the very first thing you’ll want to do is verify to be sure that your web connection is steady. This may be so simple as opening one other app in your machine or utilizing your net browser to surf the online and verify whether or not your web connection is working correctly. If your web connection is regular, then you possibly can move on to our subsequent technique.
2. Check the Discord Servers
If your web connection is steady, and you continue to can’t update your Discord, then the difficulty might lie with the Discord servers. Thankfully, there’s a site you possibly can navigate to which is able to show you the real-time standing of Discord, notifying you if any providers are down in the intervening time. That web site is known as DiscordStanding.com.
If the servers are down, then all you are able to do at this level is watch for Discord to unravel the issue on their finish. If the servers are up and working as common, you possibly can move on to the following technique.
3. Run Discord as Administrator
Another frequent repair for an issue like that is to run Discord as administrator. Much like another app, Discord wants administrator privileges to be able to set up key parts of an update that’s attempting to download. So, usually simply working Discord as administrator might help the software program full the update.
To do that, you possibly can right-click on the Discord app, and choose “Run as administrator”. At this level Discord might be granted administrator privileges and the update ought to run easily. If you’re nonetheless getting caught on checking for updates, proceed on to our subsequent technique.
Related: Why Are Messages Not Sending on Discord?
4. Disable Proxy Server
Alternatively, you possibly can attempt to disable the proxy server. The proxy acts as a type of firewall between your pc and the web. So, in case your Discord is getting caught on checking for updates, then it might be that the proxy is disrupting the web connection.
To deactivate the proxy server, comply with these steps:
- Press “Win+R” to open “Run”
- Type “cpl” in “Run” and press “Enter” to open “Internet Properties”
- Switch to the “Connections” tab
- Click the “LAN settings” button
- Make positive “Use a proxy server for your LAN” is unchecked
- Press “Apply” and “OK” to avoid wasting the change
Afterwards, you possibly can attempt to run Discord once more. If the error persists, then you possibly can move on to our subsequent technique.
5. Temporarily Disable your Windows Defender and Firewall
Similarly, the Windows Defender or another Antivirus and Firewall software program might be the source of the issue. Since they will typically fail to tell apart the distinction between malware and app updates, subsequently blocking these updates from occurring.
To disable your Windows Defender and Firewall, comply with these steps:
- Navigate to “Update & Security” from the “Windows Settings”
- Select “Windows Security” and click on on “Virus & threat protection”
- Then scroll down and choose the “Manage Settings” choice
- From right here, it is possible for you to to disable Windows Defender by turning off “Real-time protection”
This might definitely be what’s holding you again from updating your Discord. However, if you happen to’re nonetheless having difficulties, you possibly can attempt our subsequent technique.
6. Rename the Discord Update File
Another risk is that there’s a corrupted Discord file current. If that is the case, then you possibly can merely rename the update file, which is able to pressure Discord a brand new copy of the file, thus fixing the difficulty.
To rename the Discord update file, comply with these steps:
- Force shut the Discord updating course of
- Press “Win+R” to open “Run”
- Type “%localappdata%” in “Run” and press “Enter” to open “AppData” native folder
- Find the Discord folder and open it
- Find the “exe” and rename it to “UpdateX.exe”
Once you’ve executed this, you possibly can open up your Discord and see whether or not it has up to date efficiently. You can even attempt rebooting your pc and launching Discord once more, because it ought to download the brand new file and start set up. If the difficulty persists, then you possibly can move on to our last technique.
7. Reinstall the Discord App
Lastly, if you happen to’re nonetheless caught on checking for updates, you’ll need to reinstall the Discord app in your machine. This is listed as our last technique as a result of it needs to be your final resort if nothing else works, since it’s going to utterly take away all knowledge.
To take away Discord and reinstall the app, comply with these steps:
- Go to “Control Panel”, and click on on “Uninstall a Program” below “Programs
- Right-click on the Discord app and select “Uninstall”
- Once the app has been eliminated, kind “%localappdata%” within the “Run” dialog field
- Locate the “Discord Subfolder” and delete it
Once that is executed, you possibly can restart your pc, return to the Discord web site and start downloading the set up file as soon as once more. Which ought to resolve the issue at hand.
That’s every part you’ll want to learn about how one can repair Discord when caught on checking for updates. In the meantime, you’ll want to take a look at a few of our different Discord content material right here at Gamer Journalist. Like the perfect Discord PFP footage and concepts or how one can flip off Overlay in Discord.