Wargroove—the turn-based tactical game from 2019 whose most necessary reward to the world was its cute canine models—is getting a sequel. Introduced by writer Chucklefish yesterday, Wargroove 2 will see the colorful Advance Wars-like return sooner or later this yr, and it is picked up a brand new developer, too.
Where the primary game was made and printed by Chucklefish, Wargroove 2 is being developed by Robotality, maker of the technique video games Midway and Pathway. PCG’s Evan Lahti discovered the previous of these two video games somewhat shallow in comparison with competing technique video games like Xenonauts in his Midway evaluation again in 2014, however hopefully Robotality has picked up a couple of issues within the final (oh god) 9 years.
Wargroove 2 seems to be as fairly and pixelated as its predecessor within the clips and screenshots we have seen so far, and appears to have traded out the knights-and-armour aesthetic of the primary game for one thing a bit extra piratical and fantastical. It is set three years after the occasions of Wargroove 1, and options all kinds of vibrant new models and enemies, together with big squids and pyromaniac pirates (pyrates?). Don’t be concerned, the canine are nonetheless in there.
Chucklefish has a complete record of additives and modifications to the sequel that I will record under, however the one which leaps out to me is its new single-player roguelike “Conquest” mode. “In these quick-paced, bite-sized battles each alternative is everlasting,” reads the mode’s description, that means that “Gold and health carry from skirmish to skirmish, and no unit is dispensable.”
There’s loads of different new stuff, naturally, together with a roster of recent participant commanders who every have their very own distinctive, tide-turning “Groove” skills you could supercharge throughout the course of battle. This is Chucklefish’s record of options it is introduced to this point:
- Return to the frontline with new Commanders, as mysterious new factions be a part of the combat
- Commanders are extra highly effective than ever, with an all-new tiered Groove system
- Observe 3 new Marketing campaign arcs, interwoven in a fierce conclusion
- Battle with or towards your mates in Co-Op & Multiplayer mode, domestically or on-line for as much as 4 gamers
- Put your strategic skills to the take a look at with a brand new roguelike mode – Conquest!
- Develop new ways with 5 new unit varieties to grasp
- Stage-up strange models by choosing up particular gadgets
- Get extra artistic than ever with new & improved map, marketing campaign & cutscene editors
- Fascinating soundtrack written by composer Dale North (Nintendo eShop, Disney Want park and cruise expertise, River Metropolis Women 1 & 2, RWBY Arrowfell)
We definitely do not get Advance Wars on PC any time quickly, Nintendo being Nintendo, so hopefully Wargroove 2 does a very good job plugging the opening in our coronary heart. We reasonably appreciated the primary game, in spite of everything: Malindy Hetfield scored it 78% in her Wargroove evaluation, praising it for its “artistic, demanding challenges.” If Wargroove 2 can refine and enhance that method, I am all for it. You will discover the game’s web page over on Steam.